Thursday, April 22, 2010

So far, for so long - so soon??

Well, in five days, my 7 year old son will take off on a jet plane (accompanied by dad) to visit his aunt (godmother) and uncle for five days and four nights. My husband will leave him there and continue on to a job site three hours away for most of those days.

He's thrilled, to say the least. Aside from the typical motherly jitters, I'm truly excited for him as well. And his aunt. My sister connects with him so very well, and I'm confident they'll have a blast.

But I'm still nervous.

When I was around his age, I was supposed to go on a two-night girl scout camp-out. I had such a panic attack that my mom drove me there the next day so I wouldn't have to spend more than one night away from home. The next time I spent more than one night away from home was my senior year of highschool- World Youth Day 1995 in the Philippines. (I know- World Youth Day???? Yes, you are still reading the blog of a Traditional Catholic) I had such a great time that finally, on the 4th day, my mom tracked me down by phone to make sure I was okay. I was so busy enjoying it that I forgot to call and tell my mom I arrived safely!

From that point on, my travel bug began. Next, Germany, for a six week exchange program that same year. Then, spring of 1996 to travel Rome and the rest of Italy with my college polyphony choir. Spring of 1997 was the semester I studied in Rome, then in 2002 I finally made it back to Italy with my husband and then 13 month old son for 10 days. This next May, we're going to Ireland for a month.

So, is my son catching the bug early? Or will he hold off before forgetting to call and tell me he arrived safely?

I hope not.

But this trip will be very good for him. He'll have five days of no sisters bugging him or "getting him into trouble". Every event will be just for him. He may even improve his focus skills, I hope.

Us girls, however, will not be left in the dust. The next in line is already planning her trip for when she's 7. And while we're at it, us girls will admittedly be enjoying brother-free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment