Friday, April 16, 2010

Which Comes First?

So, my Lenten mission was to be a better mother. I recently read a good book (see yesterday) in parenting that is based on first principles, and leaves plenty of room for differing personalities and approaches, so long as these first principles are met.

I therefore decided (actually, it's been this sanguine's mission for quite some time now) that everyone, including the aforementioned sanguine, would benefit from some more structure. I posted a long thought out "general daily schedule" about the 3rd week of Lent. We have yet to meet it's relatively loose terms.

Is it so much to ask that the children get dressed, brush teeth and eat breakfast within the first hour of waking? But then they need their sanguine mother to shepherd them from one thing to the next- which is fine... but every day? How long until they see the good and do it themselves-- or at least create a habit? Sanguine's have all the gumption for change and trying new things, but they get tired out. The long haul is difficult.

I heard somewhere one that it takes six weeks to create a habit. How about when one is not particularly willing or interested in creating it (the children)? I feel like the salmon going upstream, even climbing a waterfall, to spawn. Except the spawning is the created habits which will make us all happier, and the waterfall is the child's tendency toward laziness and the here-and-now pleasures.

Why get dressed when I have this great art project going on? But Mom, I'm reading "Know Your Mass". They're playing so nicely- for once. They're creating memories to be cherished.

But, I think my mother (and husband) would both say, "that's great! After they get dressed."

If you could only see them now, the perfect picture of serenity. I fear if I take them from it now, the moment will be lost.

So, which comes first?

No comments:

Post a Comment