P: Mom, can I change the [cloth] diapers over to the dryer?
Me: Sure, but I think there are dried clothes still in the dryer.
P: Okay. But I don't know where an empty basket is...
Me: There's one in my bedroom.
P: Oh-Kay! (this was said with much excitement).
And it may have taken him almost 30 minutes, but he cheerfully unloaded the dryer, carried the full basket to the folding area, then loaded the diapers and started the dryer (he's 7). It was one of those moments I wrote on my heart to remind myself that we're not doing a bad job after all.
PART II
Yesterday, after a fairly successful grocery trip with all four in tow, I allowed the children to pick out mylar balloons (hey gotta reward good behavior!). Which one let it go? The 3 y.o.- even after she refused to have me tie it on her wrist. Oh, how my heart ached for her, but I had to stick to my word of no replacements. I was in such pain. She had tears on her cheeks, and suffered silently.
Halfway home (it's a twenty minute drive), the 5 y.o. said to the 3 y.o. (both girls): S, you can have my balloon. I'd rather not have one than you not have one.
S: No, I wanted my own.
C: No, I insist. You can have it. Just let me carry it into the house so it doesn't blow away.
S: We can share it.
C: No, that's okay, you can have it.
S quietly accepted it.
C had an increasingly difficult time, but stayed quiet. My rear view mirror, however, showed the six-foot deep frown on her face (you'd really rather be buried than face her frowns). I finally said "C, I love you. And you know who is hugging your heart right now? Jesus and Mary. They are so proud of you." cheesy sounding, I know, but she stayed quiet, and slowly that frown went away.
When we arrived home, I quietly gave her a Hershey kiss hugged her.
And now? They are sharing the balloon.

No comments:
Post a Comment