Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What would you say?

We welcomed our 4th child, B, into the world about two months ago. While I'm one of six, and my husband one of eleven, it seems that we're already breaking into the world of large families. I don't know whether to be sad or excited. You see, I always guessed we'd cross the threshold when our 5th came, but not our fourth. Each of our children were a benchmark of sorts in our boycott against the modern world. The first, even? Yep.

It took us six months to conceive P, which meant we would break free of the "waiting to have kids" impression the average bystander had. C, our second, came with a "two years, that's a good space" (as if we were trying to "space out" our children!), and a "how cute, so you'll have one of each." The third, S, was a sad coming only in the fact that she was, for three years (due to two miscarriages after her) the "oops baby". B ended the "oops baby" idea, and people were starting to realize we meant business when we say we are Traditional Catholics. But now she's not only "they mean business" with our promise not to kill away our babies with birth control, but the "FOUR kids?! Wow, what a big family!" I thought that would be reserved for 5 and beyond. We do sometimes get a "I had four, too. It was/is great." I usually think to myself "should I tell them...?"

Anyway, on to my point. I'm often spared people's commentaries and looks unless we go out in public (no matter what Michael Matt says, I find it hard to believe so many children can go into a grocery store and stay so well-behaved. Of course, he doesn't have P as a child.) My husband, however, trains new customers for a software company, and has many interactions and much chit-chat with those being trained. One of the questions he has a hard time answering is "so what does your wife think about that?" regarding "already" having four children (dude, we have friend the same age who just welcomed their 7th!). No matter what he says, it isn't satisfactory, and they usually don't believe him. It's like asking a man how often he beats his wife. There's no answer.

So, what would/do you say? What should my husband say?

No comments:

Post a Comment