Monday, January 25, 2010

Quest for the Perfect Stash (and I don't mean chocolate)

With the arrival of baby B, we decided to give cloth diapering a "go." My husband and his siblings were all(?) cloth diapered, which gave him some experience -- and stinky memories. Dunk and swish, and the ever olafactorially-present diaper closet. But it's not supposed to stink anymore, apparently. No more wet-pail soaks, and there were now high-fashioned choices, too! (If you don't believe me, check out http://www.english.bubblescouture.ca .)

I thought I had it figured out initially. I'd start with some newborn all-in-ones (AIOs) for ease, and supplement those with some disposables ("sposies" in cloth-diapering-speak) I bought "just in case" and because doing the diaper laundry for a newborn while recovering and caring for three others was a tad overwhelming. I also bought some gro baby systems (all-in-twos, or AI2s) which have a separate, snap-in insert and "doubler" for when you needed extra absorbency. For economy, I didn't buy extra inserts (the covers were to be reused until soiled) but sewed my own flannel "flats" (the old fashioned diaper that is folded in various ways, then pinned or tucked into a cover).

Turns out my little B's skin was sensitive to cotton touching her dear bottom. So, out goes the $200 of gro baby's-- on Craigslist, at a loss. In comes the newer styles, pocket diapers. It's like a sandwich: laminated fabric (PUL) on the outside to keep wetness in, and the innermost side touching baby is microfleece to wick moisture away from the baby. Between the two is a microfiber insert that holds all the waste.

These are fine. I'm not head-over-heels, and wonder if I'm supposed to be. There are chat forums (yes, there are, huge ones!) for cloth diapering mammas, and you wouldn't believe it! Some (or maybe even most) of them are "in love" with their "stash". I guess I'll get there one day. Like I said, these are fine, if you like bubble-double-butt.

The best part? No. more. blowouts. ever. I mean, baby sitting on my hip or lap? Nope. Not one bit. For that alone, I'm satisfied with my cloth diaper purchases.

I'll keep you updated on my future purchases as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment